500g of sweet potatoes (approximately 2 large ones)
1/2 teaspoon of salt (optional)
1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
1-2 cups of plain flour
1. Spike the sweet potatoes with a fork and put them in the microwave for 3-4 minutes, then put them into a 200c oven for 15-20 minutes. Once they are soft put them aside to cool and scrape out the potato being careful to discard the skins.
2. Mash the potato well, add the salt, nutmeg and egg, combine into a paste like consistency. Start adding your flour in small batches, you may not need the full amount. You are looking for the consistency of a soft dough.
3. Place your mixture into a snap lock bag (as shown below) and place in the fridge until you need it.
4. Cut the tip of the bag and proceed to make your gnocchi, it is easy to squeeze the mixture out and then cut with scissors as you reach the desired length. Make sure this is done on a floured bench. Roll the gnocchi in the flour and you are ready to cook.
5. Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil and cook the gnocchi until it all floats on the surface, you do not want to over cook it. Add to your favourite sauce or have it on its own!