What's better than meatballs?..... Giant meatballs! These ones are guaranteed to be better than your Nona's!
500g Beef mince
500g Pork mince
1/3 cup of almond meal
1 Tbs dried sage
2 Tbs dried basil
1 handful of fresh basil
Salt & pepper
2 400g tins of diced tomatoes
1 large jar of passata
1 large onion
1 small tin of tomato paste
5 garlic cloves
1. Dice the onion and add to a hot pot with olive oil, stir until opaque. Add approx. 4 gloves worth of garlic.
2. Stir in the tomato paste and cook down for at least 1 minute.
3. Add the diced tomato's followed by the passata and simmer vigorously for 10 minutes. Add the fresh basil, half of the sage and salt & pepper to taste. Bring down to a low simmer
1. In a mixing bowl add the mince and pork and combine well.
2. Add the eggs, almond meal, dried herbs and the remaining garlic and combine well.
3. Separate into 6 equal portions and make into firm balls.
4. On a medium heat fry the balls in olive oil, make sure you are careful not to break the meatballs at this stage. Brown all the way around.
5. Carefully add the balls to the sauce mix ensuring everything is covered. Allow to gently cook through for up to 1.5-2 hours.
6. Serve with your favourite salad.